Product: Sunny Seat Large Cat Window Perch / Sunny Seat Window Mount Cat Bed
Cheapest Place to Buy: Amazon
My Rating: 4 out of 5
Sunny Seat Cat Window Perch Product Overview
The Sunny Seat Cat Window Bed is a product that is designed to serve as a large cat window perch. It will make your cat love you far more than they currently do, especially if you live in a place where your windows provide a good view in the sun. I live in what is called a garden unit in Chicago, this essentially means that more than half of my home is underground. It is great for keeping the place cool in the summer and reducing the heating bill, but it certainly leaves a lot to want for if you’re a cat on a window sill.
This window bed enabled me to very easily get my cats a vantage point a lot higher than the window sill so they can actually see things passing by at street level, something they relish in. It also gave them a place to lay right in the sun and fall asleep while still being up high and off the ground, something cats are driven to prefer based on their instincts. One additional thing they love is the fact that I stuck a see through bird feeder right on the other side of the window so when they are in the bed they can see all of the birds come back and forth to eat. It keeps them engaged and awake for long periods of time.
I never take the bed down through any of the four seasons, so it has gone through numerous temperature fluctuations on the window as well. It only fell down once or twice in the two year period I had it up. After two years though the suction cups finally gave out permanently and I had to purchase a new one. All in all I’m very happy with the life of the product given the cost.
This is also one of the Best 10 Cat Window Beds that I found in 2017.
How Was the Setup
Setting up the bed was a breeze. It comes with a single page set of instructions that are straight forward. It essentially asks you to:
- Gather all the parts
- Construct the 4 piece frame
- Slide the bed covering over the frame
- Attach the suction cups to the frame
- Clean the window well with something like Windex to prepare it
- Hang the bed:
- Firmly push the bottom suction cups into place
- Hold the frame in place with one hand
- Use your other hand to stretch the cords out on the top suction cups and firmly push them into place
The Setup in Action:
I’ve created the following video if you want to watch the construction and hanging in action:
I’ve also just included some simple directions with step by step pictures. Either way you should have no trouble:
You can then manually test the bed using your hand by pressing down on it firmly to make sure it doesn’t immediately pop off of the window. This will ensure your cat doesn’t get freaked out by the bed because it falls down the first time they hop themselves up into it.
One additional word to the wise. Do not set the bed up where your cat has to jump into it unless you have no other choice. What I mean is don’t make them hop up 2-3 feet into the bed. While the bed should hold and mine did for a while when setup this way, it will make the suction cups give way a lot easier and could result in an injured & scared cat.
How Do You Get Your Cat To Use It?
It was quite easy to get both of my cats to use the window bed. Since cats are innately curious and love to get themselves into high places they were already exploring right around it as soon as it was installed on the window. The clincher for Beast was simply putting a few of her cat treats in the area and then up on the bed itself. Just like the trail of bread Hansel and Gretel left, Beast found her way up there by looking for each treat and then chomping it down.
Lexi on the other hand was more interested in going wherever Beast went. She started climbing up there once Beast started sleeping up there. It didn’t take long for her to get curious enough and jump up there herself and laze about in the sun for a while, sometimes right on top of Beast.
My General Take:
I give it a solid 4.5 out of 5 stars. I’m very happy with the purchase, especially at the very affordable price point you can pick this bed up at. There are numerous other versions out there, but this one worked incredibly well for me right out of the box.
- Most importantly, my cats both LOVE IT and it gets used daily.
- It is incredibly easy to setup & hang.
- It easily holds either my 8 lb or my 12 lb cat.
- It has also easily holds both cats at the same time which is over 20 lbs.
- If you put a lambswool cover in it it is super easy to pop it off and wash it.
Room for Improvement
- The suction cups will eventually deteriorate and stop working. This is just normal for any sort of rubber or plastic that is perpetually exposed to sunlight. Mine took over two years to do this and the bed simply would not stay in the window anymore. I had to order a whole new bed instead of just suction cups because the manufacturer doesn’t sell them as spare parts and they are custom fitted to the PVC ends.
- I would caution you to be careful with is if you have a window that looks anything like mine. Windows that have crossbars running through them for decorative or stability purposes might prove difficult to hang the window bed in, simply because the base is not adjustable from a size perspective.
What’s In the Box?
- The Sunny Seat Cat Window Perch Frame w/ two attached cords
- The Sunny Seat Cat Window Perch Frame Cover
- 4 Suction Cups (3.3 inch diameter each)
- 1 Instruction Guide
- Product Dimensions: 22″ x 12″ x 1.5″ ( L x W x H )
- Cord Length: 23″
- Weight: 1 pound
Frequently Asked Questions
- How much weight can it hold?
- The product details indicate 30 lbs, though unless you have a very large cat or pair of cats that plan to use it at once I doubt you’d ever need that much weight support. You would also want to be careful of your window itself supporting large amounts of weight like that.
- How long will the suction cups last?
- While every person will have a different experience depending on the amount and severity of the sunlight, my suction cups lasted a little over two years of constant use.
- What if I can’t get the suction cups to stick?
- Be sure your window is 100% clean and dampen the suction cups and the window very lightly before attempting to stick them on.
- You can also use an oil like coconut oil to help get the suction cups to adhere if the above doesn’t work for you.
- Can you buy replacement suction cups?
- As of right now the manufacturer does not offer suction cups as a separate item.
- What are the cords made of?
- The cords are made of steel wire to ensure your cat won’t be able to chew through them.
If you have any other thoughts on the Sunny Seat Large Cat Window Perch please leave a comment below or send me an email at Craig@StuffCatsWant.com so I can update this article.
StuffCatsWant.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.